Click on Bold Words

For links to the recipes in the posts, click on the bolded pink words!  

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Blueberry Pancakes! Yum.

Today, 8/6/05 is Rich and my one year wedding anniversary. I thought to celebrate by making a breakfast. Actually, it turned into a brunch deal because I had to pay some bills and play on the internet a bit first. But, when I got down to business, it was all good.

I love pancakes. French toast was my favorite breakfast treat, but there is so much more you can do with a pancake, in my opinion. Blueberry pancakes are a fantastic example. Of course, the most important ingredient, blueberries, should be fresh. Make sure you pick thru them and discard any that are smooshed or icky.. yes, icky.. technical cooking terms here. Next, if you don't have one, buy an electric griddle. I swear it is the best thing ever!! I love it! You can make most of your pancakes at once so you, the cook, can actually eat with your family/taste-testers/whomever rather than flipping flap jacks while they eat! Anyway.. here is my recipe for....

BLUEBERRY PANCAKES:
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teasooon salt
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup fresh (or frozen thawed blueberries) rinsed

In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Beat egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl; add milk and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients; mix until batter is smooth and stir in blueberries.
Fold in beaten egg whites. Bake on hot lightly greased griddle.


~It's a lot of steps, but well worth the effort~

From taste-tester Rich:
"um, some of the best homeade blueberry pancakes I've had, but could have been sweeter, and maybe with some blueberry syrup, you know.. to enhance the blueberryness"

I'm not sure blueberryness is a word, but I'll go with it.. sweeter..we can do that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blueberry pancakes do sound yummy.. I bought a pre-made mix at Kroger and have been meaning to try it!!
yum yum

Anonymous said...

I have some blueberries, but I forgot to mix them in! yikes. I like to use grape jam, jam, not jelly, on my pancakes. very good, & not runny, like sryup. yum!