Salad Delight Dessert
This recipe is my grandmother Trzop's recipe. My mom still makes it best, but I'm trying!!
2 pkgs lemon gelatin (I usually use sugar/fat free)
4 c boiling water
1 - 2# can crushed pineapple, drained (save juice) (a 2# can means the larger size can like 16 or 17 oz)
4 bananas, sliced
1 c mini marshmallows (maybe 1 & 1/2 c mini marshmallows)
Topping Mixture 1:
1 c pineapple juice (saved from drained pineapple above. Add water to equal 1 cup
1/2 c sugar (or Splenda)
2 T Flour
2 T butter
2 eggs, beaten
Topping Mixture 2:
1 - 8oz cool whip
1 c chopped nuts (Usually use the chopped misc nut mix or toasted chopped pecans)
1. Dissolve gelatin in the water, add pineapple and cool (don't let cool too long or the gelatin will start to harden).
2. When cool, add bananas and marshmallows.
3. Chill until firm - usually overnight.
After gelatin mixture is firm:
4. Combine pineapple juice, sugar, flour, butter, and eggs. Cook on top of stove until thick, then chill.
While Mixture 1 is done chilling:
5. Add the nuts to the cool whip, saving about 1/2 c of nuts for garnishing
When all is chilled and cooled, spread the cooked mixture on top of the gelatin. Then spread the cool whip and nuts on top of it all. Garnish the top with the remaining nuts.
**My family LOVES the topping and we double the topping mixture.