This stew is fantastic! It's great on a cold night and is very yummy. I didn't change a thing about the recipe, except, I made it in the crock pot instead of the oven. It turned out incredibly tender and I didn't have to watch the stove! Of course, another favorite from Martha!
Irish Beef and Stout Stew:
* 4 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
* 2 1/2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
* 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
* 1 can (14.9 ounces) Irish stout beer
* 10 garlic cloves, sliced
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 2 boxes (10 ounces each) frozen baby peas, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, toss beef with flour; stir in tomato paste. Add potatoes, onions, broth, beer, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Transfer pot to oven, and cook, covered, until meat is fork-tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in peas, and season with salt and pepper.