Click on Bold Words

For links to the recipes in the posts, click on the bolded pink words!  

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Spaghetti Squash Mania!

I picked up a couple of spaghetti squash at the store today and am excited to try a couple of different recipes!

Wikipedia describes Spaghetti Squash as:

The spaghetti squash (Cucurbita pepo) (also called vegetable spaghetti, noodle squash, "Spaghetti Marrow (in the UK) , squaghetti or Sharkfin Melon 鱼翅瓜 to Chinese) is an oblong seed-bearing variety of winter squash. The fruit can range either from ivory to yellow or orange in color or green with white streaks. Its center contains many large squash seeds. Its flesh is bright yellow or orange or white for the latter variety. When raw, the flesh is solid and similar to other raw squash; when cooked, the flesh falls away from the fruit in ribbons or strands like spaghetti or shark's fin (when cooked in a soup form). Spaghetti squash can be baked, boiled or steamed, and served with sauce as for pasta, or used as a vegetable base for macaroni and cheese. Spaghetti squash contains many nutrients including folic acid, potassium, vitamin A, and beta carotene. It is also a food low in calories, averaging 75 calories in 8 cooked ounces. It is a Chinese native vegetable."

So, there are 2 recipes that I can't wait to try!

The first is from Food Network's Michael Chiarello. His show, Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello, has such fun dishes. I've tried a couple of them and they are yummy! Anyway, this one is called Spaghetti Squash with Marinara. I think that pretty much sums up the dish! It will be an easy dish to make tonite! I hope it's a great substitute for spaghetti!!

The second and equally yummy sounding is Simple Spaghetti Squash. It sounds really fresh and yummy! I thought I'd make it tonite, but I'll wait until later this week when I can pillage my Dad's garden for a couple of tomatoes!

So, we'll see how the spaghetti squash adventure goes! I'll keep you posted!

No comments: